Tuesday, May 19, 2009

William M. O'Keefe ~ 1.2.18 to 5.18.09

I know I haven't posted for a long time but I wanted to blog about a wonderful man I called Grandpa! He was the greatest Grandpa! I have so many memories of him and though I know he is in a better place, I can't help but cry when I think of all the great memories I was able to share with him! My Grandpa and I were a lot alike. He was a steak and potatoes man and I loved my steak and potatoes! He doesn't like fish and neither do I!! He was a smart ass and so am I!! I always felt like I had a special connection with him but he had a special connection with everyone!! For the memories, I will start with a memory I was told about. When I was a toddler, I LOVED my Grandpa so much that when parents, brother and I went to Disneyland when I was 2 years old, I wouldn't stop crying on the plane coming home! The only thing that made me stop crying was that Grandpa O'Keefe would be at the airport! Then there are the memories of traveling with him and camping at Wasatch State Park. I remember going to the National Parks with him and Grandma, Cindy and Caren. Those were some great times. I remember going to Cindy's boss' cabin in Heber and we would go for hikes. I remember the first year, Grandpa and I walk up to the end before everyone else and saying how slow they were and the next year, we were the slow pokes! I will always remember our time in Ireland! He was the oldest person on the tour but he was right there with everyone! He loved it in Ireland! It was his dream to go and he went twice! It only took him 81 years to get there! I will miss going into the tv room and Grandpa sitting in his chair looking at me and asking "Where in the hell did you come from? Who let you in?" Then he would give me a hug and a kiss on the side of my face. He would always end with grabbing your hand and holding it for a moment. The last time I saw my Grandpa was Mother's Day 2009 and he put his arm around me and kiss me on the side of my face! I will always love & miss you Grandpa O'Keefe!!! Rest in peace!

No comments: